Updated 24.02.2022

How to Check Road Accident Fund Claim

The Road Accident Fund (RAF) is a state-owned fund. It compensates victims of accidents where somebody is to blame. This can be the driver, pedestrian or cyclist, and another vehicle involved in the motor vehicle accident. The RAF does not pay for damages to property such as vehicles but will cover medical expenses if someone got injured. To claim the RAF, you must do it within 30 days of the event. You should also submit all relevant information with your claim form. That is, details about any witnesses who might have seen what happened before, during and after the accident.

how to check road accident fund claim
Image Address: Facebook.com

How Do You Check for Your Road Accident Fund Claim?

To check your RAF claim, you will need to visit the Road Accident Fund website or call their customer care line.

You will need your accident report number (ARP) and claim ID (if you don’t have an ARP, you can call the Fund’s customer care line to get it).

On their website, fill in your details on the form provided. You will then be able to view or download your claim file. The file contains all information about your RAF claim. It is possible that the details are not available yet if it has only been a few months since you made a claim. There are some cases where it may take up to six months for the claims department at RAF to process all the paperwork needed before releasing these documents online.

Checking Your RAF Claim Online

  • Visit RAF home page for your claim status check
  • Enter your ARP number on the Search for an Accident Claim page
  • Click on View the Claim Details link next to your search result
  • You will then be able to peruse all the information that is available for you about this claim.
  • Print or download the file as per your needs.

Checking Your RAF Claim on the Phone

You can check if your claim has been processed by calling RAF’s free number 0800 202 945. You will need to provide some personal details like your name and date of the accident, and the name of the hospital you went to. This information will be on your accident report form (ARP). You can also get a claims status check by emailing claimstatusraf@sars.gov.za.

What if You Don’t Have an ARP? 

Image Address: Facebook.com

You can also get a claims status check by calling the free RAF call centre at 0800 202 945. Inform them you do not have an ARP but want to check when they processed your claim or what’s happening with your claim. 

You will be given the right information over the phone. But for security reasons, you might be asked for some details listed on your compensation letter to tell you more about your claim. Here, you can speak to a person in the claims department at RAF by emailing: claimstatusraf@sars.gov.za.

Note that it may take a few days for someone from the claims staff to reply to you via email if they are busy with other matters or looking through your file. You can try following up on your email another day or two later if no one has gotten back to you yet, so as not to sound impatient and annoying. Be sure to check your junk box when doing so in case their response got caught there instead because of your spam filters.

What If Their Website Is Down? 

Sometimes, people may experience problems with how the website works or get a 404 page when trying to visit the RAF website. In these cases, you can still check your claim status by ringing their call centre at 0800 202 945. The staff there will help you to resolve any issues you may be having using the information in their hand.

General Things To Note When Checking Your RAF Claim

After looking through your file online, note the following things (if applicable):

  • Your name as it is now (do not use nicknames or aliases for security).
  • The date of birth that the RAF recorded on the accident report form.
  • Your residential address.
  • The amount of money they are offering you if any.
  • The reason they are not finding you fully/partially at fault for causing the accident.

Don’t forget to call the RAF after checking the status of your claim to confirm everything is correct and updated.

Note that having all this information ready can help speed up their processes even more than checking online. It is also advisable to bring some documents along every time you visit RAF offices in person. Keep these with you at all times:

  • Your driver’s licence
  • A copy of both sides of your car insurance policy card
  • Financial statements / bank statement
  • A proof of ID (like your ID book)
  • Proof of residence (like a signed rental agreement or electricity bill) An up-to-date medical report for any injuries you incurred

What Happens After Submitting Your Inquiry or Complaint?

After you have submitted your inquiry or complaint, you will then be redirected to a page where you will be asked to check your latest RAF claim status. On this screen, you should click on the “Check Claim Status” button. This will take you to the main page with extra tabs where you can choose between:

  • Existing Claims
  • Print ID Card

In the “Existing Claims” section;

  • Select either by date or claim number
  • Click on the “Check Status” button

The following page should then appear with all information you requested to view. That includes correspondence between you and RAF Call Centre staff but excluding the claimant’s details. Unless the claimant has given consent for these details to be released upon request by RAF Call Centre staff.

To check your latest claim status, visit and select “Check Your Claim” in the middle of the page under the “Claims” tab. The following screen should then appear:

What Can You Claim from The Road Accident Fund?

Image Address: Facebook.com

The RAF has different policies available depending on what you need coverage for. If one has caused the accident:

  • Injured themselves
  • Their family member got injured
  • They want to claim damages for lost earnings because of injuries sustained from an accident.

The RAF has various types of cover available for you, including:

  • Death and Disability Cover
  • Motor Vehicle Insurance Cover
  • Legal Costs Cover / Legal Representation 
  • Loss of Earnings Cover

These policies give your help with your expenses caused because of an accident.

Do I need an Attorney?

An experienced attorney can help in the process but will take a percentage of the settlement claim as a fee to cover the cost. Legal representative can be particular helpful on more complex claims. A qualified attorney or personal injury attorneys are usually best placed to help with these legal matters.

What Are The Requirements for Claiming From The RAF?

When you claim your insurance policy, it will get sent to your insurer. The insurer will then forward it to The Road Accident Fund (RAF) if there is a no-fault liability. You should note that the RAF only covers claims related to injuries sustained in South Africa, motor vehicles and any damage caused by accidents on public roads or places designated for vehicular use. If you’re not sure whether your injury qualifies under this definition, check with your insurance agent.

You should meet the following criteria for RAF to consider Your Claim:

  • You must have been a South African citizen or held a valid residence permit at the time of the accident.
  • You must have had a driver’s licence endorsed for driving a motor vehicle at the time of your accident, even if you were not driving.
  • The damage caused must have resulted from an accident on public roads or places designated for vehicular use in South Africa. It did not injure you while working on someone else’s property, and neither was it because of sabotage (unlawful acts). This also includes where someone else drove into you or collided with your vehicle on purpose, or it involved you in a hit-and-run.
  • While the RAF will pay for your medical expenses and loss of income because of the injuries sustained, it does not cover any damage to your vehicle. Whether they find you to be at fault for the accident. Depending on the extent of the damage, this may mean that you cannot claim total compensation from your insurer.
  • The accident must have occurred within three years before you make your claim against the RAF. If it happened over three years prior, there is no liability for payment by the Fund. This is irrespective of whether you claimed another party during this period.
  • Before making a claim, you must have notified the other party involved of your intention to claim from the RAF, unless that is not practicable. If you cannot do this within a reasonable period, your claim will become invalidated. Any monies paid out to you by the RAF will have to be paid back.

As with most insurance policies, you must notify the insurer who forwarded your claim as soon as possible if any changes in circumstances could affect its validity. This includes being unable to work because of your injuries or an extension on how long it takes for you to recover from them. It also comprises a change in residence either inside or outside South Africa and whether you hold a valid driver’s license when that applies.

The Road Accident Fund (RAF) is the state-managed body that deals with claims for compensation for injuries resulting from motor vehicle accidents on public roads or places designated for vehicular use in South Africa. It only ensures third-party claims and not your vehicle or injury. If you’re involved in an accident that is not your fault, RAF will compensate you for any damages sustained, but only up to the limits of its coverage.

Image Address: Facebook.com

Suppose you claim it. In that case, it is essential to realize that this type of insurance cover has several exclusions, including

  • Damage caused by sabotage (acts of unlawful interference)
  • Damage occurring while off public roads or when using roadworthy vehicles
  • Damage caused by animals and any others which get excluded in the policy document

It is also subject to terms and conditions which limit or exclude any payment in certain circumstances, such as

  • Having a blood-alcohol level over the legal limit
  • Not reporting the damage to the police within 30 days of it occurring and no-fault liability

The RAF will pay for your medical expenses and loss of income up to R350 000. But only if there were casualties involved in the accident and you were not liable for that injury. This amount can increase to R1 million if it involved no other vehicle in the accident. Your injuries are less than 5% of your entire body surface area (BSA) or if it killed all occupants of your car. The latter two only apply if you were not at fault for the accident.

If there is no third-party liability and they make a claim against you, the RAF will only pay up to R120 000 in total for your medical expenses and loss of income. This limit would increase to R200 000 if killed or sustained over 5% BSA injuries.

  • The accident must have occurred within three years before you make your claim against the RAF. If it occurred over three years ago, there is no liability for payment by the Fund. This includes whether you claimed another party during the period.
  • You should note that the RAF only covers claims related to injuries sustained in South Africa, motor vehicles, and any damage caused by accidents on public roads or places designated for vehicular use. If you’re not sure whether your injury qualifies, then check with them before making a claim.
  • If they have injured you in an accident that was someone else’s fault, report it to the police immediately. Your claim can still get made against them even if they do not boast insurance. But your entitlement to benefits under the RAF will be different if there’s a no-fault liability.
Image Address: Facebook.com
  • You must notify the other party involved of your intention to claim within 30 days unless it is impracticable to do so. If you cannot do this, then you cannot claim later.
  • You must give your insurer a complete account of the accident and injuries claimed as soon as possible after it occurs. Your details will get forwarded to the RAF’s claims department, which will decide if they wish to investigate further or not. If they accept liability, damages can only become payable within three years from the claim made, even if the injury happened over three years before it got reported. You can extend the time limit in certain circumstances, such as when it’s not practicable for you to notify them immediately of their liability.
  • They limited damages to necessary medical expenses (including future treatment), loss of income, and other losses such as paying for household help if you can’t perform your normal daily activities after the accident. It may also cover funeral costs, loss of enjoyment and travel expenses which are reasonable and related to the injury.
  • The RAF has a statutory obligation to provide rehabilitative services or equipment for you to return to work. But only if their accident was over three years ago and they were not at fault for it. They must also prove that they have a viable employment opportunity that someone already employed in South Africa cannot fill. That is if the injury happened within three years from when you made your claim. If it happened over three years prior, there is no liability for payment unless the person is still totally disabled despite employment before the accident.
  • The RAF is only liable for loss of income if you boasted employment at the time of the accident. It may also pay up to R11 000 per month if they can prove that it is difficult to get employment because of the injuries you sustained. They may pay for this for six months, after which you must provide proof of your efforts in looking for work. If their condition is unlikely to improve, then they may receive benefits until death or retirement. But this will not be more than R20 000 per month even if your earning capacity reduces substantially. 
  • If the attending doctor believes that your injuries are so severe that there is no chance of recovery within five years, then lump sum compensation may get paid to you in certain circumstances. They base this on a formula for each month of reduced earning capacity rather than the actual amount, and there are limits on what they will pay. In most cases, they won’t pay more than R1,000 per day regardless of the extent of your injuries. Unless it was over five years from when you made your claim or under exceptional circumstances. 
  • If their condition improves within that period, they may make further payment in proportion to any improvement. But they may only do this twice during five years.
Image Address: Facebook.com
  • You can either make a claim yourself, or they can apply for it on your behalf with all the relevant documents attached. They must get written consent before doing so if you’re under 18 years old.
  • If you think their offer is not reasonable, you can either request a review or go to arbitration if the claim has been open for over six months. They set criteria, which they must follow if you reject their claim or aren’t happy with the amount offered, even after negotiations. They may also refer it to arbitration only in certain circumstances, such as when your injuries are so severe that no money will be sufficient compensation or when you have died before they have settled.
  • RAF medical expenses cover up to R2 million worth of treatment per person during any five years, while funeral costs get limited to R50 000 per person regardless of how many people are killed in an accident. Loss of income benefits lasts for five years while they pay temporary total disability for six months before it switches to permanent, followed by temporary partial disability, after which they are no longer responsible.
  • They give an amount of R5 000 to every person who witnessed the accident or saw you in a severe condition, even if they didn’t see the actual accident happen. If you’re successful, they must pay your legal costs before taking back this sum from any compensation received.

If you’re under 18, then all benefits are halved unless you die within 24 hours of the accident, in which case your family will receive 100% of what they offered. You can also change the way benefits get paid by writing to them at least seven days before your new circumstances arise.

They may appoint an arbitrator of their choice, but if the claimant disagrees, then they need to select one on their own or go to court. You can do the same if you don’t want them to choose an arbitrator on your behalf. Either party may refer to arbitration before this happens if they feel that negotiations have reached an impasse.

You’ll receive a payment within 30 days unless it’s for funeral costs, in which case they must pay it within 24 hours. They will pay interest of 18% per year from the accident if no payment gets made within 21 days after liability establishment and 7% per year between 22- and 180-day periods.

Advantages of Road Accident Fund Claim

Image Address: Facebook.com
  • RAF’s process is relatively quick and easy
  • They offer medical treatment for injured parties
  • They pay out cash benefits on the spot after submitting information about their injury


  • Rates are not fixed; the amount you receive depends on your degree of injury.
  • RAF can refuse to pay out if they suspect that you have lied in any way about your injuries or treatment. If they find proof, the claim is considered fraudulent and will be rejected.
  • They might subject you to a medical examination by an approved doctor to verify your injuries/illness.

You may wonder how to check a Road Accident Fund claim. The RAF is an essential entity for South Africans, as it provides payment after motor vehicle accidents. To make sure you are eligible for reimbursement from the Fund, you must meet specific requirements outlined by law. I hope the information above provides detailed information of how you check for road accident fund claims.


+ posts

Job is a seasoned writer with a good understanding of the emerging markets, Africa to be specific.


Comments limited to 400 characters.