Standard Bank is a reputable bank. It is a great bank for you to be involved with. Standard Bank has a lot of credit card options for you to choose from. If you are looking for a basic credit card, then the Standard Bank Blue Credit Card is the credit card option for you to look at.
Key Highlights of the Standard Bank Blue Credit Card
- Credit Limit of R 250 000.00
- No additional loyalty features or benefits attached to this card
- You can choose to have a Credit Card Protection Plan which is optional and comes at a price
- Simple and easy to apply for
Features and Benefits
- Chip and Pin enabled MasterCard credit card
- Shop at millions of merchants and ATMs worldwide
- 3D secure verification for safe online shopping
- Tap to pay in-store for R 500.00 or less
- Link your card to Snapscan or Masterpass apps to pay by phone
- Manage your card online, at an ATM or on your phone
- Activate or disable till-point, ATM and online card functions on the app on your phone
- Single limit for straight or budget facilities
- Change your credit limit on request
- Automatic lost card protection
Fees and Charges associated with the Standard Bank Blue Credit Card
The following fee numbers are valid as of the 30th of September 2020. These pricings may change.
- Monthly Fee: R 40.00
- Monthly repayment: 3% minimum monthly repayments with automatic payment option
- Initiation fee: R 180.00
Your interest rate is personalised. So it depends on how much you spend on your card per month will depend on how much you need to pay back monthly.
Application Eligibility for The Standard Bank Blue Credit Card
- Minimum monthly income R 7 500.00
- 18 years or older
- South African resident
- Approval is subject to credit checks and Financial Intelligence Act requirements
How to Apply Online for a Standard Bank Blue Credit Card
If you already have a Standard bank account, sign in to your internet banking profile and apply for the credit card online. The nice thing about doing it this way is that you do not have to resubmit your documents as the bank already has your details.
If you do not have a Standard Bank account, then you can go onto the Standard bank website and apply for the card online.
Once you have sent in your application, you are going to have to wait a few days for the bank to check your credit rating. Once they have done that, you will be informed if you are getting the credit card or not. For an extra fee, you can have your card delivered to you or you can go and collect it at your nearly Standard Bank. This can take up to 7 working days.
Make sure that you take your valid South African ID card or Green book with you so that the bank can make sure that they are giving the card to the right person.
You will need to have the following papers with you before you apply:
- Proof of residence
- A valid South African green book ID or ID smart card
- A recent payslip and 3 months bank statement
Pros and Cons
There are a few pros and cons to the Standard Bank Blue Credit Card:
- Easy to apply for
- Monthly fees will depend on how much you spend on the card
- Monthly fees are not expensive
- Basic credit card option that you can get when you might need some extra money on hand
- Can use the card to keep your savings in as well
- Not linked to any loyalty programs
- No added benefits
- Credit card protection program optional at an additional price
Why should you choose this card?
The Blue Credit Card option from Standard Bank is a great credit card option for you to look at if you want to have a card in hand for a rainy day. This card is a clever investment for you to have because the monthly fees are not expensive which helps you to not spend a lot of money a month on unnecessary fees.
You can tap and pay as well as use your phone to scan QR codes which limits the number of card machines that you touch. This helps ensure that you stay as safe as possible during the pandemic as well as after the pandemic is over.
This is a great card option for you if you need to create a positive credit rating as it is easy for you to pay off your card. The 55-day interest-free means that you have nearly 2 months to pay off your credit before you have to pay extra.
Overall, as a basic, beginner credit card, we give the Standard Bank Blue Credit Card, 7/10