Avios is a rewards program aimed at people who frequently spend on airfare. It allows them to collect points which they can redeem later for discounts and other flight promos. Now, with their very own Avios Credit Card, you can take advantage of the rewards program even better.
Avios Credit Card
The Avios Credit Card entitles you to receive benefits especially built for frequent flyers. When you become an Avios Credit Card user, you automatically become a member of the Avios Travel Rewards Programme for free.
You’ll be able to earn 1 Avios for every R10 you use your Avios Credit Card to purchase any item. You’ll earn twice the number of Avios when you use your card on BP and Pick ‘n Pay stores.
Unlike other credit cards that also earn you Avios, this one has exclusive features that can help you rack up more rewards points. You can continue accumulating Avios for a long time using the Avios Credit Card. As long as you spend or collect 1 Avios every three years, your points won’t expire.
Features and Benefits
Avios Credit Cardholders can enjoy the following benefits:
- You get to choose your own card design from the options Avios offer.
- You can use your Avios Credit Card just like an ordinary ATM. This means you can withdraw cash using it from any ATM around the world.
- Short-term insurance coverage from theft and damages caused by specific accidents through the Mastercard Purchase Protection.
- No transaction fees on till points purchases using your Avios Credit Card.
- Interest-free purchases on select products for up to 55 days.
- Receive electronic billing statements, free of charge.
- You won’t be held liable for fraudulent activities in case your card is stolen or lost, thanks to the Lost Card Protection feature of the Avios Credit Card. You should report incidents like these immediately for the feature to take effect.
- Enjoy free travel insurance with basic coverage for you and your immediate family members when you purchase international flight tickets using your Avios Credit Card.
- Access to the exclusive offers available only to Platinum Mastercard Moments members.
- Option to receive SMS updates on your credit card transactions for a fee.
- Option to avail the Card Life Plan which can be used to cover up to R100 000 of your outstanding balance in the event of permanent total disability or death. Limited coverage for retrenchment is also available.
Credit card limit may vary per individual. Assessment of each applicant will be conducted to determine how much credit they can handle based on their financial capabilities.
To apply for an Avios Credit Card, you must satisfy the following conditions first:
- You must be at least 18 years of age
- You have a valid South African ID
- You have a monthly income amounting to at least R8 000
- You have a billing or bank statement addressed to your current residence
Interest, Fees, and Repayment Information
First-time applicants for the Avios Credit Card will be charged with an initiation fee of R166.45.
As of July 2018, interest rates for both Budget and Straight payment facilities are at 20.75%. The Budget payment option allows you to redistribute and lengthen your repayment terms up to 48 months. Only credit card purchases amounting to R300 and above can be subjected to this option.
In addition to credit interest, you have to pay the facility fee and account fee monthly. The facility fee is the amount needed for maintaining your credit card for everyday use. This will cost you R25.22 monthly. On the other hand, the account fee is the cost of retaining the additional features of your Avios Credit Card and is valued at R45.39 per month.
Cash withdrawals will cost you an additional amount of at least R60.53 when you process it on any bank through over-the-counter methods. Withdrawing from an ATM is the cheaper alternative, especially if it’s an Absa ATM since it will cost you at least R4.54 only.
As a credit card affiliated with Mastercard, you can use your Avios Credit Card on international transactions. Take note of the currency conversion fee, though, which is at 2.75% of the converted Rand amount.
How to Apply
You can apply online through the Avios website and fill out the form which will take you only a few minutes to complete. You can also use the following channels to tell Avios your interest in availing their credit card facility:
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 0861 4 AVIOS (28467)