South Africa is the home of some of the biggest shopping malls in Africa and the world at large. But do you know these malls? Where are they located in SA? What is their gross leasable area (GLA)? Find out all you need to know about the 15 largest shopping malls in South Africa.
Gateway Theatre of Shopping
The Gateway Theatre of Shopping in Umhlanga Rocks, Durban, covers 220,000 square meters. It has more than 430 stores and 12,000 parking slots. It is owned by Old Mutual Property and managed by Exellerate Real Estate Services Ltd.
The Gateway Theatre of Shopping features,
- Entertainment services like Ster Kinekor complex with 18 cinemas, IMAX Theatre, Electric Avenue Bowling and Action Karting
- 70 eateries
- Fashion stores like Armani Exchange, La Coste, Vans and Cotton On
- Gym, the Virgin Active gym, and a wide array of health and beauty centres
Menlyn Park Shopping Centre
The Menlyn Park Shopping Centre is located in the Capital City of Tshwane. Despite being the second biggest shopping centre in South Africa, Menlyn Park Mall is the biggest centre in Africa, covering a gross leasable area (GLA) of 177,000 square meters with 8250 parking bays.
It has 480 stores, including
- Entertainment and leisure joints Barnyard, Go-Karts, Numetro, and The Fun Company
- Fashion shops for men, women or children. These fashion shops include Bogart, Artollini, Cadini, Donna, Earth Child, H&M, Hugo Boss and Birkenstock
- Popular department stores like Checkers Hyper and Pick n Pay
- Financial institutions such as banks and ATMs
- Grocery shops,
- Food stores like KFC, Burger Rack and FishaAways
- Furniture stores like UFO, House and Home for shopping
The mall also has essential service providers to improve the customer experience while in the mall. These services include information desks, Muslim prayer facilities, VIP parking, concierge ambassadors and wheelchairs at the security office and the Grocery Avenue information desks.
Fourways Mall in Johannesburg
- Retail stores like Checkers Hyper, Pick n Pay
- Clothing shops like Woolworths, Aldo and Move On
- Fast food outlets, restaurants and coffee shops like KFC, Starbucks, Burger King and Cafe Central
- Furniture shops Home, Heylo and Homemark
- Travel agencies
- Indoor and outdoor fun and games centres for skiing, kart racing, skate boarding, among other sports
- Banks and ATMs.
The 170,000 square meter space also includes parking space with over 2500 parking bays that are open every day. Parking is free for 30 minutes, after which the rates increase to a maximum of 24 hours on the weekdays and regular working days. On weekends it is free for the first two hours, after which there is a standard rate of R10.
Sandton City South Africa
In 1973, Sandton City mall covered 50,000 square metres. However, later on, it underwent an R1.7 billion expansion in 2011 to its current size of 146,803 square metres, making it number four on this list. It has a wide selection of over 300 stores from Adidas to Louis Vuitton.
It has a wide array of stores offering,
- Fun, games and entertainment
- Food and beverages
- Retail stores
- Sports and fitness
- Financial services
- Fashion and footwear.
Canal Walk is the fifth-largest mall in South Africa and Cape town’s largest shopping centre. Situated in the Century City precinct, it covers 141,000 square metres and hosts 8,000 parking bays. It also has lots of,
- Retail stores
- Fashion stores
- Entertainment joints
- Restaurants, cafes
- Fitness centres
All these stores provide top-quality products and services that meet local and international standards.
Eastgate Shopping Centre
According to the store’s centre statistics dated 31 December 2018, it covers 135,790 square meters located in Johannesburg’s Eastern suburbs. Eastgate Shopping Centre has 300 store spaces available for tenants. However, currently, the shopping centre has 250 of them occupied by local and international brands.
Mall of Africa
The Mall of Africa is the biggest malls in South Africa, built in only a single phase with 130,000 square meters of retail space. It has 6,500 parking bays and 300 stores, including Pick n Pay, Woolworths, IMAX, Toy Kingdom, FNB, Kyalami Indoor Karting, and @Home.
The Pavilion Shopping Centre
In eighth place is Pareto owned, The Pavilion. This Shopping centre, located along the Durban shoreline, has a GLA of 122,768 square meters with 273 stores and 5319 parking bays.
After its refurbishment in 2016, the Westgate Shopping Mall now has a gross leasable area (GLA) of 112 592 square meters, making it ninth on this list. It has 173 stores and 5676 parking bays. Its key tenants are Checkers Hyper, Pick n Pay, Edgars, Game, Woolworths and Food Lovers Market.
After significant renovations seven years ago, Brooklyn Mall in Pretoria currently has a GLA of approximately 82,850 square metres. It has about 220 specialist retail stores alongside national retailers, which offer food, fashion and lifestyle services.
Mall of the North
Mall of the North in Limpopo, according to Moolman Group, is 77,788 square meters and has 180 stores making it eleventh on the list. Its key tenants are Woolworths, Pick n Pay, Checkers, Game, Edgars and Ster-Kinekor.
Greenstone Shopping Centre
Greenstone Mall covers 75,000 square metres and has 150 stores. The shops include:
- Games and entertainment centres.
- Health and beauty stores.
- Electronics, mobile and computer stores.
- Movie theatres.
- Restaurants and eateries.
- Home and decor stores.
Johannesburg’s Clearwater mall with 65,000 square metres of space comes in thirteenth. The shopping complex has 225 stores and over 5200 parking bays. Its key tenants include Woolworths, Edgars, Dis-Chem, Pick n Pay and Game.
Centurion Lifestyle Centre
Finalising the list is Hyrop Investment’s Rosebank Mall. After redevelopment in 2014, the mall’s GLA increased to 62,000 square metres. It has 147 stores and more than 2,200 parking bays. The key tenants are Clicks, Pick n Pay, Dis-Chem, Woolworths, Checkers, and H&M.
All the top 15 stores in this list are all above 60,000 square feet in size. Topping our list of the biggest malls in South Africa is the Gateway Theatre of Shopping in Durban, with 220,000 square feet. Like all the other malls in this list, it checks all the boxes that makes a mall an ideal place for a shopper. These large shopping malls continue to be busy despite the increase in online shopping. Walk into any of these malls and have an experience of your life.
- Where to Buy Security Shutters in South Africa
- Shoprite Money Market
- Best Shopping Deals Sites in South Africa
- Best Online Clothes Shopping in South Africa