Best Vacuum Cleaners to Buy in South Africa
Vacuum cleaners are a godsend for people who want to clean their place fast and effortless. Gone are the days where you need to yank a heavy and unwieldy vacuum cleaner when cleaning the house. Nowadays, vacuum cleaners are portable and lightweight (some are cordless too!) With the rise in vacuum cleaning technology, a wide range of vacuum cleaners flooded the market, making it hard to choose the best one for you. There is no need to worry as our editors gathered all the Best Vacuum Cleaners to Buy in South Africa in one list!
The chief feature you need to look for in a vacuum cleaner is how easy and powerful it can remove dust and dirt from your home, including all the nooks and crannies. All the other features and conveniences a vacuum cleaner offers do not matter if it cannot clean your entire house! This article aims to help you learn how to choose the best vacuum cleaners and give you the best of the best before buying one. Read on for more information.
In a hurry? These are the Best Vacuum Cleaners to buy in South Africa:
- Hoover WindTunnel 3 Max Performance Pet UH72625 – Best Upright Vacuum
- Miele Complete C3 Calima Canister HEPA Vacuum Cleaner – Best Canister Vacuum
- Dyson V7 Motorhead – Best Cordless Stick Vacuum
- BISSELL PowerGlide Pet Slim Corded Vacuum – Best Corded Stick Vacuum
- Worx 20V Power Share Cordless Cube Vac Compact Vacuum – Best Handheld Vacuum
- Shark IQ Robot Self-Empty XL R101AE – Best Robotic Vacuum
- OVO Heavy Duty Powerful Central Vacuum System – Best Central Vacuum
- Atrix Ergo HEPA Backpack Vacuum – Best Vacuum Cleaner for Bed Bugs
Buying Guide: How to Choose the Best Vacuum Cleaners
The key to a clean home is a good vacuum cleaner. There are a plethora of vacuum cleaners that rings all kinds of bells and whistles. Furthermore, there are different kinds of vacuum cleaners for specific use cases. Our editors tested and compared dozens of vacuum cleaners available for South Africa.
Different Types of Vacuum Cleaners
The first things you should know before shopping for a vacuum cleaner are the shapes and forms it comes in. There are old-school ones that are bulky but powerful. And there are modern ones that are portable and high-tech. Right now, here are the different types of vacuum cleaners in the market:
- Upright Vacuums – Upright vacuum cleaners are easy to store when not in use as they can stand up on their own. This kind of vacuum cleaner provides a better deep-cleaning for carpets while costs less compared to other types. However, upright vacuum cleaners tend to be heavier and noisier.
- Canister Vacuums – Canister vacuum cleaners consist of a wand, a hose and a separated canister for dust and dirt. This kind of vacuum cleaner is better at reaching under furniture due to its more lightweight wand. Cleaning power is equally good as the upright counterparts, and noise is not generally a problem. Storing in the closet may be more difficult due to the separated canister.
- Cordless Stick Vacuums – Considered the most versatile of all types of vacuum cleaners, the cordless stick vacuum cleaners are an engineering marvel. In terms of cleaning, convenience and costs (compared to robotic vacuums), cordless stick vacuums are unparalleled. The internal battery of cordless stick vacuums is its Achilles’ heel.
- Corded Stick Vacuums – Corded stick vacuum cleaners are the corded version of the previous type. In exchange for having a cord, you can save money due to how cheap corded stick vacuum cleaners are compared to cordless variants.
- Handheld Vacuums – Handheld vacuum cleaners are the most portable vacuum cleaners. You can store these mini vacuum cleaners inside your car’s glove compartment. However, they are not as powerful as other kinds.
- Robotic Vacuums – Robotic vacuum cleaners are the most futuristic kind of vacuum cleaners. Decades ago, we only can imagine a robot to clean after us. And now, it is a reality. This kind of vacuum cleaner is the most convenient to have, but it comes with a hefty price.
- Central Vacuums – Central vacuums are the cream of the crop, among other types of vacuum cleaners. They are quiet, powerful, and uncumbersome. However, central vacuums are pricey and need professionals to install.
What features should you look for in a Vacuum Cleaner?
Aside from the suction power, there are equally important features you need to look for in a vacuum cleaner. Here are the specifications you need to take note of when shopping for a vacuum cleaner:
- Cleaning Accessories – On a typical home appliance, accessories are not that important. However, it is a different story for a vacuum cleaner. Although the vacuum cleaner is still the main star of the show, accessories help further its functionality. The add-on attachments assist in cleaning different surfaces better. Moreover, long-nozzled accessories extend the vacuum cleaner to reach hard-to-reach places.
- Bagged or Bagless – Bagged vacuum cleaners require you to buy replacement bags every now and often. Although it may come as pricey and slightly inconvenient, emptying the dirt bin of a vacuum cleaner is not a hassle and cannot harm people with asthma or allergies.
- Floor Surfaces – Some vacuum cleaners cannot effectively clean other surface areas. Before shopping for a vacuum cleaner, think of the floor surfaces your house has. It will help you decide which model of vacuum cleaner to choose.
- Roller Brush – Roller brushes help you clean rugs and carpets deeper because it agitates lodged dust and debris. On the other hand, this feature is not that helpful when cleaning bare floors as it pushes the dirt away before being sucked up by the vacuum cleaner. Be on the lookout for vacuum cleaners with a switch to turn the roller brushes on and off.
- Height Adjust and Suction Control – Continuing on the carpet cleaning, height adjustment should be a must when your household has carpets with different pile heights.
- HEPA Filter – There are dust and dirt so small that they can escape a vacuum cleaners exhaust. These tiny particles are harmful to people with asthma when inhaled. Fortunately, there are vacuum cleaner models that feature HEPA filters.
- Cord Management – An average household needs vacuuming at least twice a week. That is why a vacuum cleaner with cord management keeps it nice and tidy when not in use. And considering that most corded vacuum cleaners have a minimum of 5 meters of cord, cord management is an essential feature.
- Self-propelled – If you plan to get a bulky vacuum cleaner for its suction power, make sure it is self-propelled. This feature will make handling and manoeuvring more manageable.
Tips on Buying Vacuum Cleaners Online for South Africa
Our experts shared their tips and experiences when buying a vacuum cleaner. Follow these tips to get the best vacuum cleaner that fits your budget.
1. Try Vacuum Cleaners on their Physical Stores
Even if you plan to buy vacuum cleaners online, it is best to try them out first in physical stores. If there are no available models of vacuum cleaner that you are eyeing out, find something similar to it. Although it might be different, you can still gauge the feel of your desired vacuum cleaner.
2. Look out for Sales Online
It is always a good thing to save a buck. Our experts advise being on the lookout for sales online at all times. You can save cash on events, such as the Black Friday Sale, for home appliances with heavily discounted price tags. However, if you desperately need one right now, get a vacuum cleaner right away.
3. Consider going corded
Although going cordless is the best way to go, corded vacuum cleaners offer the same cleaning power and same conveniences but for a significantly lower price. So, if you do not mind dealing with cords, get a corded vacuum cleaner instead to save cash.
4. Do not underestimate its noise
For households with babies, old grandparents, and pets, the noise from vacuum cleaners should be a massive buying factor. Our expert writers advised not to underestimate the noise a vacuum cleaner produces (not even the mini variants). The least you can do is check its specification for noise level.
8 Best Vacuum Cleaners to Buy in South Africa
Our expert testers compared dozens of vacuum cleaners in the market to bring you 8 of the best vacuum cleaners to buy in South Africa. Let us not delay our list any further. Here are our editors’ top picks:
Best Upright Vacuum: Hoover WindTunnel 3 Max Performance Pet UH72625
Hoover | Price: ZAR 3476 | Product Dimensions: 13 x 15 x 44 inches | Product Weight: 18.1 pounds | Cord Length: 40 feet | Dirt Cup Capacity: 1.42 Liters | Floor Height Adjustment: 4 Level | Accessories: Crevice, Dusting & Turbo Tools | Bagged | HEPA Filter
Our editors choose the Hoover WindTunnel 3 Max Performance Pet UH72625 as the best upright vacuum cleaner for its large dirt capacity and versatility. This upright vacuum cleaner is a refinement and an upgraded version of Hoover’s WindTunnel 3 lineup. Moreover, this model comes with additional cleaning tools that help remove different types of dirt and dust.
Our expert tester was hugely impressed with the Hoover WindTunnel 3 Max Performance. With its 1400 watts (12 Amps) of rated power, it is no wonder why this is a beast for removing stubborn dirt and pet hair. Our expert tester reported that this upright vacuum cleaner had no trouble removing pet hair from carpets and rugs. Furthermore, this Hoover vacuum uses a multi-cyclonic separation system that separates types of dirt for constant suction power. Its HEPA filters are removable and rinsable too!
Emptying the dirt bin is not that frequent because the Hoover WindTunnel 3 Max Performance has a whopping 1.42 litres of capacity. Therefore, you can jump from room to room without the need to take the dust bag and replace it. As for the motor lifespan, the Hoover WindTunnel 3 Max Performance Pet UH72625 has a guaranteed three (3) years of motor service warranty. Overall, the Hoover WindTunnel 3 Max Performance is an all-around upright vacuum cleaner with a powerful motor, a large bin capacity, and outstanding performance.
Best Canister Vacuum: Miele Complete C3 Calima Canister HEPA Vacuum Cleaner
Miele South Africa | Price: ZAR 16112 | Product Dimensions: 9.1 x 9.1 x 9.1 inches | Product Weight: 12 pounds | Cord Length: 24 feet | Dust Bin Capacity: 4.75 quarts | Accessories: Dusting brush, upholstery tool and crevice nozzle, and a 3D bumper | Bagged | HEPA Filter
Out of Miele’s Complete C3 lineup, our editors chose the Miele Complete C3 Calima Canister HEPA Vacuum Cleaner for its lower price but better performance. If you are looking for a quiet canister vacuum cleaner, this model is the one you need to get due to its integrated sound insulation.
The Miele Complete C3 Calima features a HEPA Air Clean Filter that purifies the air it takes in and filters 99.9% of particles. Allergy and asthma sufferers would not have a hard time using this canister vacuum cleaner due to this feature. Therefore, all the pet and human hair, lint, crumbs and other dirt it sucks up will remain in its dust bin. Furthermore, the Miele Complete C3 includes all the necessary accessories to keep your house clean, including a Dusting brush, upholstery tool and crevice nozzle.
In terms of suction power, the Miele Complete C3 Calima boasts 1200 watts. Not only that, you have complete control of this suction power using its rotary dial. The Miele Complete C3 has six (6) varying suction power. As we mentioned above, canister vacuum cleaners are usually a pain to store away. But not the C3, as it has a retractable cord for painless housekeeping.
Best Cordless Stick Vacuum: Dyson V7 Motorhead
Dyson South Africa | Price: ZAR 7889 | Product Dimensions: 24 x 18 x 12 inches | Product Weight: 25 pounds | Dirt Cup Capacity: 0.14 gallons | Battery Life: 30 minutes | Cordless | Bagged | HEPA Filter
One of the big players in the vacuum cleaner market is Dyson. And year by year, this manufacturer has proven itself as the best consumer company for vacuum cleaners. One of the things that make Dyson stand out (aside from its impressive track record and performance) is its portfolio of colourful vacuum cleaners. Among the sea of options for the cordless stick vacuum, our editors pick the Dyson V7 Motorhead as the best.
Upon unboxing the Dyson V7 Motorhead, its fuchsia-coloured body with purple and grey accents will surprise you. Although some assembly is required, every accessory of this vacuum cleaner snaps on and off easily. One of the accessories included in the box is the wall mount. This innovative tool does not only store the Dyson V7, but it also charges it simultaneously.
Performance-wise, our expert tester how lightweight and easy to handle the Dyson V7 is. Unlike the previous picks, the Dyson V7 Motorhead is convertible to a smaller handheld vacuum. This feature is practical in reaching higher places or cleaning the lint and dust off pillows. Since this vacuum cleaner is cordless, it has an integrated battery to power its motor. Dyson rated its battery life at around 30 minutes which is accurate based on our tests.
Best Corded Stick Vacuum: BISSELL PowerGlide Pet Slim Corded Vacuum
Bissell | Price: ZAR 3696 | Product Dimensions: 30.2 x 11.25 x 8.25 inches | Product Weight: 9.5 pounds | Cord Length: 30 feet | Dirt Cup Capacity: 0.5 Liters | Accessories: Pet TurboEraser tool, Crevice tool, Dusting brush | Bagless | Brush Roll Switch | Febreze Foam Filter
Our editors chose the BISSELL PowerGlide Pet Slim Corded Vacuum as our pick for the best corded vacuum cleaner. Unlike the Dyson Cordless Vacuum cleaner, this offering from Bissell is significantly cheaper (almost twice as inexpensive as the Dyson counterpart). But I recommend you not to belittle the Bissel PowerGlide Pet Slim because it is a powerful device. With its power rating of 4.2 amps, no impurities from your floor are safe.
Our expert testers used the Bissell PowerGlide Pet Slim Corded Vacuum for a week, and they were impressed with its performance. According to them, this Bissell corded vacuum picked up all the fur from their two golden retrievers. Furthermore, they instantly loved the tangle-free brush roll design, which resists pet hair from wrapping around the brush. They tried countless vacuum cleaners before, but nothing came close to this Bissell corded vacuum cleaner.
Although the Bissell PowerGlide Pet Slim is a corded vacuum, its 30-feet cord is long enough to clean a large room from one corner to another. In addition to that, the included accessories make it simple for you to reach nooks and corners. Another feature our testers loved is its wall mount for trouble-free storage. This wall mount also accommodates two other vacuum add-on attachments. The last thing worth noting is that every purchase of the Bissell PowerGlide Pet Slim helps save homeless pets. Save countless other pets while cleaning after your pets.
Worx South Africa | Price: ZAR 2091 | Product Dimensions: 13 x 15 x 44 inches | Product Weight: 3.0 pounds | Hose Length: 4 feet | Dirt Cup Capacity: 7 ounces | Battery Life: 10 to 20 minutes | Accessories: Crevice nozzle, brush attachment | Bagless | HEPA Filter
Although Dyson is undoubtedly the king of handheld vacuum, the Worx 20V Power Share Cube is a close second. For those who are unfamiliar, Worx is a purveyor of cordless tools, which includes vacuum cleaners. The Worx 20V Power Share vacuum cleaner has a unique cube shape. But do not discount this vacuum cleaner yet due to its form. This unusual shape makes it easier to store.
The Worx 20V Power Share vacuum cleaner offers two vacuum speeds, one high and one low. Our expert testers used this handheld vacuum cleaner to vacuum the rugs of their SUV. They reported that the low suction power is enough for crumbs and dust on the car floor. However, you need its high suction power to remove more stubborn dirt. Take note its battery life varies on the suction power. It will take 20 minutes to drain the battery when on low suction power, while only 10 minutes on high suction power.
For only ZAR 2091, the Worx 20V Power Share vacuum cleaner offers unbeatable value when you are looking for a budget but powerful car vacuum. Other users agree that this tool is the perfect small vacuum cleaner.
Best Robotic Vacuum: Shark IQ Robot Self-Empty XL R101AE
Shark Clean | Price: ZAR 9875 | Product Dimensions: 14.69 x 10.24 x 19.37 inches | Product Weight: 17.51 pounds | Battery Life: 90 minutes | Bagless | Self-Emptying Base | Self-cleaning Brushroll
If you think that robotic vacuums do not need much attention and maintenance, you are mistaken. Physically speaking, robotic vacuums do not have a spacious cup for the dust and dirt they clean, unlike other types of vacuums. Therefore, you still need to empty the dust bin once in a while. However, high-end robotic vacuums have a docking station that unloads the dirt for another round of cleaning. This feature is why our editors choose the Shark IQ Robot Self-Empty XL.
Time is gold. Busy people do not have the time to do some chores like vacuuming. Moreover, people with pets who are shedding hair need to vacuum or broom every day. If you belong to these two groups of people, a robotic vacuum is the only solution for cleaning your home without any effort. Shark IQ Robot Self-Empty XL is cool because you can forget vacuuming the floor for a lengthy period. The self-emptying base can hold up to a month’s worth of dust and dirt.
Furthermore, the Shark IQ Robot Self-Empty XL is a Smart robotic vacuum. This robotic vacuum cleaner has an accompanying app that you can use to set its cleaning schedule. Lastly, the Shark IQ Robot is compatible with smart assistants like Alexa and Google Home.
Best Central Vacuum: OVO Heavy Duty Powerful Central Vacuum System
My OVO | Price: ZAR 8109 | Product Dimensions: 12.52 x 12.91 x 30.2 inches | Product Weight: 27 pounds | Dirt Cup Capacity: 32 Liters | Bagged/Bagless
Power users should look at central vacuum cleaners for their shear performance and capacity. And for the best central vacuum, our editors unanimously picked the OVO Heavy Duty Powerful Central Vacuum system. The leading difference between a central vacuum system and a portable vacuum cleaner is power and performance. OVO boasts that their vacuum systems are three (3) times more effective than portable ones. Its ultra-powerful 5.7 inch 2-stage Ametek Lamb Motor powers the OVO Central Vac.
Generally, more performant vacuum cleaners produce more noise. However, the OVO Central Vac is an exception due to its noise-reducing silent system that allows you to clean the house without disturbing anyone. Furthermore, the OVO Central Vac brings a longer lifetime. All OVO’s vacuums have Soft-Start technology, which promises to increase its lifetime by 20%! With all this performance and convenience, the OVO Heavy Duty Powerful Central Vacuum system does not come cheap. However, our editors still think that it is worth it.
Best Vacuum Cleaner for Bed Bugs: Atrix Ergo HEPA Backpack Vacuum
Atrix | Price: ZAR 3375 | Product Dimensions: 19.5 x 12.5 x 10 inches | Product Weight: 12 pounds | Hose Length: 6 inches | HEPA bag capacity: 8 quartz | Accessories: 6′ Hose, Blower Adapter, Exhaust Filter Cover, Extension Wand, 22″-37″, Set of 3 Blower Nozzles, Furniture Nozzle, Crevice Tool, Oval Dust Brush, Floor Brush, Air Driven Turbo Brush, and many more | Bagged | HEPA Filter
One thing that other vacuum cleaners struggle at vacuuming up are pests (bed bugs in particular). Moreover, this type of specialized vacuum cleaner is usually more expensive. Enter the Atrix Ergo HEPA Backpack Vacuum Cleaner. This backpack vacuum cleaner from Atrix is an outstanding yet economical option for your vacuuming and bed bug control needs. Its ergonomic, lightweight, and low profile build makes it perfect for a long house cleaning session. Furthermore, its convenient and easily convertible design accommodates both lefties and righties.
Aside from its unique but practical backpack design, its 1400-watt cleaning power is no match for other vacuum cleaners. On top of that, it also doubles as a blower. Our expert testers commented that the backpack design is not heavy. They felt that it was almost not there due to how lightweight it is. Additionally, they praised the attachment holder as changing it is almost instant. Its safety features are excellent too! The Atrix Ergo HEPA Backpack vacuum cleaner has four (4) levels of filtration and an 8-quart HEPA bag for the safety of its user.
Our expert testers tried the Atrix Ergo on their bed and were shocked by how effective it is. The volume of dust and dirt (including bed bugs) they collected was astonishing. We know that you will, too, once you used the Ergo on your beds. Although the Atrix Ergo is relatively cheap, Atrix is generous with its accessories. Atrix included a lot of attachments and filters to make vacuuming simpler and more convenient for you!
Keeping your house clean and tidy increases a good mood. A clean room also helps in tidying up your brain. You may notice that if your room is messy, you are more unproductive and lazier. These are the reasons why you should keep your place clean at all times. Our editors hope that you picked something from this list of the best vacuum cleaners.